I follow the civilized caveman on twitter (@cookingcaveman) and he posted a crockpot chicken the other day that looked delicious so I tried it. And yes, it was delicious! Check his page out HERE for this and other great recipes!
I love using the crockpot because you can set it and forget it! Because sometimes we don’t have time to work on dinner for an hour each night. Enjoy!
- 1 whole chicken, (3 pounds but whatever you can fit in your crock pot works)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, zested, halved, and juiced
- 1/4 cup organic honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 white onion, quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- Rinse your chicken under cold water and then pat dry with a paper towel. If you have a chicken that is roughly prepared, just remove the giblets, etc and then clean and pat dry.
- Season the outside and inside of your chicken generously with salt and pepper and then place the chicken in the crockpot. It does not matter how you place it in there but lets keep it simple, just like it would sit on a shelf is what it should look like in your crock pot.
- Chop up 2 sprigs of rosemary and depending on how you zested your lemon, chop that up too.
- Place the rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, and dijon mustard in a bowl and mix well. If your honey is thick you can microwave it for 15 seconds or so to soften it up and help it mix.
- Place your remaining sprig of rosemary, the quartered onions, the garlic, and the lemon halves inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Using a brush, take your honey dijon mixture and brush all over the chicken and coat heavily, you should use all of i.t
- Cook on low in the crockpot for 6 hours